Obesity is excessive amount of body fat which may lead to complex disorders. It is not just a cosmetic concern but leads to increase risk of diseases and health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, lowered pulmonary functions and lowers life expectancy.
- Physical inactivity (lack of proper exercise)
- Eating Habits
- Eating in between meals
- Preference to sweets, refined food, fats, preserved food
- Composition & periodicity of meals
- Psychological Factors
- Emotional disturbances
- Depression and anxiety
- Frustration and loneliness
- Endocrine glands problems
- Familial tendency
- Males are at high risk during age 29 to 35 and females are at risk during the age 45 to 49
- The risk increases with age
Yoga technique plays an important role by its effect on body mind complex, organs, endocrine system. When practiced effectively will help achieve reduction in weight and benefit our health condition.
Benefits of Practicing Yoga for Obesity:
- The biggest advantage of this system of cure is that the individual does not have to undergo fasting and feel any weakness.
- Due to gradual reduction there is no sagging of facial skin and conditioning of the body takes place simultaneously.
- The yogic method may take longer in correcting excessive weight as compared to gimmicks claiming to reduce weight in matter of days and weeks through usage of various pills, gadgets etc. , which cause various disorders and do serious physical- mental harm to the users.
- The yogic method reduces weight in a lasting and a permanent way.
— It does not cost a penny.
–There is no disturbance in normal way of life.
–Also the reduction of weight is gradual so that the person does not feel any loss of strength.
- Recommended Asanas :
— Surya Namskara (Sun salutation) – exercises every part of the body. 6-8 sets daily help a lot.
— Uttanpadasana (Raising the legs) – reduces obesity of thighs, hips and other parts of the body.
— Urdhavhast- Uttanasana (Raising half arms) – reduces fat from lower part of body.
— Katichakrasana (Hip twist) – develops sleek waist.
— Hastuttanpadasana (Hands touching raised legs) – reduces fat of abdomen , hips , thighs and arms.
— Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand) – strengthens lungs and heart.
— Halasana (Plough pose) – makes legs flexible.
— Naukasana (Boat pose) – strengthens shoulders, neck, back and legs.
— Dhanurasana (Bow pose) – benefits abdomen.
— Shavasana (Corpse pose) – relaxes the body.
Deep breathing should be done as it helps to quiet down body and mind.
# Meditation for short period also benefits.
# Each asana should be practiced 5 times with retaining each position from 10 -15 seconds.
# Should relax between 2 asana
# All or some of the asana in which feels comfortable can be done.